This delicious, fast and easy dessert is adapted from Melissa Clark‘s, Mixed Berry Crunch that I saw in the New York Times in 2008 and I have been making it ever since. I call it a crisp and I never use oatmeal or nuts. A variation of this recipe may also be called a Buckle, Brown Betty, Cobbler, Slump or Grunt…and probably a few other names! Here is my recipe. For all of the fathers out there this is a great Mother’s Day recipe! Happy Mother’s Day to all of the beautiful Mom’s out there! xo
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen peaches
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar, depending upon sweetness of fruit
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To prepare filling, toss berries with tapioca (if using), sugar and lemon zest. (Without tapioca, crumble will be very runny.) Set aside.
2. To make topping, in a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, spices and salt. Stir in butter. Coarse crumbs will form.
3. Pour filling into a 9-inch square or round pan (do not grease first). Using your fingers, form topping mixture into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch crumbs and spread over cake. Bake until filling bubbles and topping is light golden, about 55 minutes. Let cool slightly. Serve.
Yield: 6 servings.